[Sussex] MYSQL vs Postgresql

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 09:27:35 UTC 2004

I've managed to get MySQL into large clients, not because it's "best", but
because it's available on multiple platforms.

Certainly, one client had a Windows-only policy, but was willing to consider
Apache / PHP / MySQL running on Windows 2000 for an application we did for
them...

... they are happy with performance and price (obviously), and are now
willing to at least talk about linux.

I don't for a moment believe that we'll get them to throw away the several
tens of thousands of Windows seats they have overnight, but MySQL has proved
an ideal entry point for Open Source servers.

Mark