[Sussex] Wanadoo nothing

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Fri Jul 23 09:00:28 UTC 2004

> I think that this may be more to the point than you imagine.  These retail
> ISPs like you to install from their official CDs or download, which will
> tailor your IE with favourites, search engines etc.  They definitely do
> not like you doing a non-CD install and bypassing, this as they most
> likely have contracts with certain people that they will promote them on
> their install disk.  Virgin for example, when you do a sign-up on-line
> says that you MUST click the Run From Current Location button on the
> Download screen; you have to be "in the know" to do Save to Disk and
> bypass this - if you then look at the .ins file you will see what I am
> talking about, there's about 4 pages of it and the only relevant bit is
> phone number, username and password.

The INS file is *the* internet installer for Windows users. From one file
the ISP can set the branding on IE, setup mail and news on the fly, setup
dialup networking, quicklinks and favorites.

This page details the ins file and has a table of configuration options:
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mmc/const/insfile.htm

--
John