[Sussex] Vi?

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Wed Jul 28 07:25:20 UTC 2004

Geoff

> Emacs is, as everyone has been saying a bigger investment in terms on
> memory, load time etc, however if you're doing any serious text editing
> it is so much more powerful than vi that it is unbelievable.

Apart from the things that you have said about Emacs, the only thing that
I "know" about it is that it uses the same help system as info, which I
find impossible to use - I once tried to make the effort but by the time I
needed it again I had forgotten everything.  Now, I found that very
tedious when man was so easy to use!  Fortunately I discovered pinfo for
the occasions when I have to read an info file.

But I digress ...

The real purpose of this message is to ask if you could give us a list of
the "unbelievable" "powerful" features of Emacs that would tempt a
reluctant and reasonably satisfied vi user to consider making the
investment in learning something that he/she thinks they don't really
need.

Regards.

Tony Austin
Gigaday Computing Limited