[Sussex] Vi?

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Wed Jul 28 11:52:53 UTC 2004

Geoff

> OK ok.. ;)
>
> It's not easy to convince someone how great emacs is until they've tried
> using it for more than just simple text editing, but here goes:

Thanks for all  that, I appreciate the time you spent putting the list
together.  So much, in fact, that I have saved your email in my "Linux
reference folder" to look at again "when I get a minute".  I can see that
Emacs could be a toolset that could be useful to someone who is hacking
all day, but I doubt if the learning curve can be justified on it's
editing merits alone (vi does several of the editing functions you
mentioned reasonably well), although it may well be a more powerful editor
as well once one is up to speed.  It's a case of "getting on with the job
with what you know".

>From my perspective, Emacs is something I would like to take a look at
"when I get a minute" - perhaps ideal on a laptop when on hols :-), but I
don't have a laptop at present or time for hols either.  :-(

> --
> Geoff Teale
> Cmed Technology

Regards.