[Sussex] A new look to our web site

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 12:44:08 UTC 2004

Steve

 From: Steve Dobson [mailto:steve at dobson.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] A new look to our web site

> Gareth
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:38:43PM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> >  From: Steve Dobson
> > > I haven't got around to learning XHTML yet - It is on my ToDo
list.

> > Its so much better plus you don't use damn table for design you only
use
> > tables for tabular data in XHTML.
>
> Before I raise it to the top of my ToDo list a question:
>
> Can I just replace the HTML in my PHP files with XHTML?  If so that
I'll
> take the hit and learn it now.

Yes, its no different then html except a little stricter.

(don't forget you will need to use css for design)

> > > The IE problem was due to poor support in IE for transparent PNGs.
> > > used the scaling clear pixel cheat to position some of the textual
> > > components and these were being rendered as white by IE.  I've
> > > replaced these with a clear pixel GIF (Damn - I didn't want to use
> > > non F/OSS formats).  It should render okay now.
> >
> > Better but there are sill gaps. Although it would annoy you but you
> > don't get this problem with XHTML.
>
> Where are these gaps?  I've a block of white space to the bottom of
the
> text area on the page.  So this should force the text area as wide as
it
> can get.

Just above the menu and just next to the penguin(lower part)

> But the way it is a very bad idea to have very wide text as it can
cause
> eye strain.  The best line length has between 10-12 words per line.
This
> said to be the best compromise between fitting as much text on to the
page
> and straining the eye as it scans back for the start of the next line.
>
> [I hold my hand up, I'm a geek.  I read stuff on text presentation.]

useful to know although I normally have a fixed width site there for I
know how many words are going to get in a line. Although for my blog
site I just checked and the average is 15 words a line

> I am of the school that says that in HTML I should define the font
> height absolutely.  This is because people with very big displays
(like
> Gareth) need larger fonts (in terms of pixels) than people with much
> smaller screens.

I'm from the school that says that you shouldn't define the font height
in html it should be in css.

No I have a large VDU so the RES is acceptable.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.