[Sussex] A new look to our web site

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 13:43:47 UTC 2004

 From: Steve Dobson [mailto:steve at dobson.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] A new look to our web site

> Hi Gareth
>
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 01:47:00PM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> > From: Steve Dobson
> > > Can I just replace the HTML in my PHP files with XHTML?  If so
that
> > > I'll take the hit and learn it now.
> > Yes, its no different then html except a little stricter.
> >
> > (don't forget you will need to use css for design)
>
> Ta - Time to hit the websites again :-)

a good place to get started with css and xhtml is
http://www.w3schools.com/

> > > Where are these gaps?  I've a block of white space to the bottom
of
> > > the text area on the page.  So this should force the text area as
> > > wide as it can get.
> >
> > Just above the menu and just next to the penguin(lower part)
>
> Not sure exactly what the problem is here.  Can you send me another
> pic please - ta.

Ok its on its way

> > > But the way it is a very bad idea to have very wide text as it can
> > > cause eye strain.  The best line length has between 10-12 words
per
> > > line.  This said to be the best compromise between fitting as much
> > > text on to the page and straining the eye as it scans back for the
> > > start of the next line.
> >
> > useful to know although I normally have a fixed width site there for
> > know how many words are going to get in a line. Although for my blog
> > site I just checked and the average is 15 words a line
> >
> > > I am of the school that says that in HTML I should define the font
> > > height absolutely.  This is because people with very big displays
> > > (like Gareth) need larger fonts (in terms of pixels) than people
> > > with much smaller screens.
> >
> > I'm from the school that says that you shouldn't define the font
height
> > in html it should be in css.
>
> You should never set the hight of the font absolutly (either in a
> <FONT> tag or in the CSS) because you do not know the view
configuration
> of your visitor.  How do you know that the view is not long sighted,
> sits far from the display and has configured a bigger font.  Setting
> the width of your text area to 1000 pixels wide will look find on your
> 1600 pixel wide monitor, but me on my 720 pixel wide MythTV display
> (my TV) it is a pain to keep scrolling a page to the left and right.

Sorry, I left out some detail in CSS you can se the size to either of
these

xx-small
x-small
small
medium
large
x-large
xx-large
smaller
larger
length
%

if you use one of the worded versions it will be in reference to how the
user has there font setup so small is different in ie to mozilla yet
10pt is exactly the same in both.

And for set width pages I nearly always got to the lowest denominator
which in most cases is a page about 740px wide taking into account
window frame and scroll. The quantity of people with low res screens is
very low I guess that you might be one of them with 720 but that's not
standard.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.