[sub] [Sussex] A new look to our web site

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Jul 30 22:56:05 UTC 2004

Gareth

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 10:41:06PM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> >I've started the switch (on my copy) of the SLUG website and here is
> >a funny I've found.  I've just changed the DOCTYPE to XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN
> >no other change made.  Now mozilla renders my local copy just like the
> >shots I've see from IE with the text not placed over the buttons correctly.
> >With both pages loaded in different tabs it becomes really easy to see.
>
> erm many browsers will have display a site differantly just by changing the
> DOCTYPE its thereticaly like compiling C++ in a C only compiler.

I have no problem with Mozilla (or IE or any other browser for that matter)
rendering a page differently if I change the DOCTYPE.

What I was surprised to find is that IE appears to be using a later render
spec on old code.  To me that is like setting the K&R flag of a C compiler
and then have it complain that the code is not to ASCII standard.

IE (and all other browsers) ought to support old HTML standards as they
always have.