[Sussex] Xfree and Xorg

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Jun 9 21:52:21 UTC 2004

All,

At the risk of kicking off healthy debate about whether one is better
than the other, I currently have XFree86 4.3.0 installed on my Gentoo
box.  I've noticed that X.org's X11 implementation is in portage (even
if it is masked) and was wondering if there would be a huge advantage to
swapping from Xfree to X.org.

I've googled and tried to make sense of who owns what and what the
advantages are, but everyone else seems just as confused.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

This email has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software