[Sussex] [OT] Warships of the future...

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jun 10 19:55:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 18:25, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
<snip>
> The Swedish Navy is testing out a new ship which is believed to be the
> most "invisible" yet. The Royal Navy and the US Navy both have plans of
> their own for similarly futuristic "stealth" ships. BBC News Online
> investigates the shape of the future of naval warfare.
</snip>

Strange that the "Swede's" chose to announce it like that/now. It's my
understanding that Canada has been designing their ships with a view to
making the radar picture as small as possible for at least 2 decades.

Unless of course, it's part of some new "pissing contest" amongst the
world's navies i.e. my ship's more invisible than your ship, ner nee ner
nee ner ner! etc etc.

Whenever I read such stories, it remind's me of a couple of year's ago,
when the US where shuttling a stealth bomber or two, over this way (not
sure of the why's and how's but memory suggest's it might have been to
do with the US bombing of Libya's alledged chemical/nuclear
installations), and good old "johnny crabfat" (RAF) popped up and told
them "ah ha!, we can see you (or word's to that effect, thereby negating
the billion's of tax dollar's that "they'd" invested in the development
of the aircraft - so amusing, it made national news).

Still, I suppose it serves to remind everyone, that it matters not, how
clever/smart/intelligent/etc etc you may think you are, there's always
gonna be someone with "more smart's" that you (and no, I don't mean
small 2 seater car's either :p)

regards

John D.