[Sussex] vim/terminal weirdness

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 14:24:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 03:06:50PM +0100, Geoff Teale wrote:
> My one, entirely unconstructive suggestion:
>
> $ mkdir  src
> $ cd  src
> $ cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs at subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
> $ cd emacs
> $ ./configure
> $ make bootstrap
> $ make
> $ sudo make install
> $ emacs -nw -q <your_file>       [1]
>
> ... and welcome to the real world, enjoy yourself...
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [1] emacs from cvs using the new -q option in combination with -nw is
> optomised for remote sessions and is_less_ resource intensive than vi.
> I thank you...

No thanks, I already have an operating system *grin* (couldn't help myself
either) :D

That aside, I might give emacs another try sometime... I remember trying it
when I was very new to linux, and it scared me away (vi did too) back to pico.
Then I made the huge jump to nano, and now I'm comfortable with vim after a
few weeks. Still finding lots of neat tricks. As for speed, it's fine, just
marginally slower loading than nano, but nano is of course very simple. :-)