[Sussex] vim/terminal weirdness

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 14:58:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 03:39:41PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:57:06 +0100
> Alan F <alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Any help would be appreciated before it drives me mad :)
> > Alan
>
> set -o vi
>
> -- Thomas Adam

Nothing set there, but I found the problem! The boxes it was working on had a
/etc/vim/vimrc file, and I managed to find the option that was making it
play nice. Gentoo's system vimrc has this set:

set nocompatible        " Use Vim defaults (much better!)

Slackware (in its usual way of doing things) didn't try to set any options,
and left that to me. So apparently vi compatability was making my arrow keys
do funky things.

After having a few quick stabs at the problem over the last few weeks,
there's nothing like asking a mailing list to make you find the problem 30
minutes later :)

Thanks anyway :D