[Sussex] what if ?

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 22:08:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 10:08:03PM +0100, Nicholas Butler wrote:
> Google never intended to offer everyone and his uncle a Gb of email ?
> what if instead they wanted to make it seem they planned this, and then
> after all the hue and cry of the competitors they pull out , leaving all
> their competing search engine players overburdened with a product
> designed to compete with vapour ware marketing ?
>
> or am I living in the 80's

Very devious :)

Well, as for most people on this list, we wouldn't care because we're geeky
enough to run our own mail services. Speaking of gmail, I got a free invite
an hour ago, and as far as webmail goes it's GREAT. Really fast, nice clean
interface, and as you'd expect the search features are very flexible. I read
an article saying the spam filter wasn't too great.

Oh, and, I learned some interesting stuff today not worthy of its own message :)
I found a remote crash in my favorite p2p client, now I know what a NULL pointer
in C is, and I learned how to write simple proof of concept code in perl (which
I kept between myself and the developer). He was able to fix it within _10 minutes_
of me reporting it, which confirms to me that OSS developers in general are
much better at responding to bugs than commercial vendors.

I'll stop boring you all now :)