Why is gnome better? RE: [Sussex] Promoting SLUG

Thomas Adam thomas_adam at bonbon.net
Tue Jun 29 15:09:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:03:10 +0100
"John D." <big-john at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've had a look at/round gnome, but found that it hasn't alway's
> been as "straight forward" (or perhap's IMO intuitive).

Swings and roundabouts, John.

> Maybe one of you more experienced type's could explain why "those in
> the know" seem to prefer gnome over kde? Is it a licencing thing and
> that kde's Qt based ability over the gtk/gnome thing? Or is there more
> too it?

It depends what you mean by prefer? I don't think there is a logical
assumption that experience == a preference for Gnome.

> I enjoy meddling with the "eye candy" side of thing's, I've alway's
> found more "decorative" type stuff available for KDE, though when I've
> looked at others examples, they often seem to use gnome, but HOW?, it
> seems a bit mysterious at the moment.

I'm madly in love with 'fvwm' personally. Have been ever since I
installed RH4, umm, some time ago. :)

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Annie Hall leaves New York in the end. Press rewind, and Woody gets her
back again." -- "Look Inside America", Blur.