Why is gnome better? RE: [Sussex] Promoting SLUG

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Jun 30 11:45:35 UTC 2004

Tom

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:29:03PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:21:30 +0100 Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> > XView had a lot going for it, it was clean and simple to use.  But it
> > didn't have a rich widget set which is why I think Motif won.
>
> Yes, this is so -- but more importantly it was the widget set that was
> taken up by Sun for use on their CDE environment, and mwm itself. This
> got the support it needed for its continued development.

Not quite true (as I remember it).  Scott McNealy (CEO, Sun) had publicly
announced that Sun would never go the Motif route.  Unfortunely (for him)
the raise of a powerful Windows based desktop platform necessitated that
the Unix vendors standardized their systems -- to make it easy for 3rd
party software houses to write apps that could run on all Unix platforms
with only a recompile being need.  Thus the rise of SysV & CDE - the
Common Desktop Environment - common to *all* Unix platforms - at least the
top players - IBM, HP, SGI, & Sun.

IIRC HP developed most of what went into CDE - the basic look and feel was
theirs.

Steve D