Why is gnome better? RE: [Sussex] Promoting SLUG

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Jun 30 12:58:05 UTC 2004

Steve Dobson wrote:

>Debian sarge (Testing) has GNOME 2.6.1 in it.  It's what I'm running.  I've
>been tracking sarge for almost a year now so far without issue - can't be
>that many release critical bugs left.

One real shame is that Debian are going to go live with GNOME 2.6 just
as some really big improvements happen in GNOME 2.8.

If you're following the proceedings at the "GUADEC 5" GNOME Developers
conference in Norway (of which today is the last day), you 'll see that
plans are afoot to unify the various rendering technologies in GNOME
through freedesktop.org's Cairo.  This means, for example in GNOME 2.8
almost all rendering can be done through an OpenGL graphics card in the
same manner that Mac OS X has been doing for the last 18 months of so.
This will not only make programming easier (in the sense that GNOME's
rendering API's will be truely unified for display, printing, publishing
work.. etc.. etc..) but wil also drastically improve the performace of
GTK on machines with desent graphics cards.

--
Geoff