[Sussex] [From Debian-uk] Sun through the Looking Glass

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Jun 30 14:36:10 UTC 2004

Stevie the wonder dog said:

>You are, of course, correct.  I knew this but wasn't thinking straight.

You were thinking bent then?

>This is just Sun being non-free again.

Well.. yes or no.. what are the proprietary libraries it depends on -
remembering of course that Sun are now making moves to GPL Slowaris
(I'll believe it when I see it).

>It appears to me that about the
>only distro that can "ship" this is Gentoo - as binary distribution is
>prohibited -- the GPL code is linked to non-free libraries.
>
>Does Gentoo do anything to stop people building software that is non-free
>in this way?  After all the licensing of the dependants may well stop
>the distribution of binary images without a license from Sun.

Erm... like what?  I mean, if there was a license issue then Gentoo
wouldn't include an e-build for it - but Gentoo does include binary only
builds of some things where source is not available.  Gentoo isn't as
_pure_ as Debian.

--
Geoff