[Sussex] "pre-depend" error upgrading to Woody

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 2 00:06:45 UTC 2004

Feeling somewhat ill-prepared for upgrading to Woody as a result of the
error I encountered, I decided to do some reading & increase my knowledge a
little more & get better prepared in the process.

I now have a good few pages of notes, mostly a mix of the Debian docs for
upgrading from a previous version & the most helpful responses of Steve &
Thomas.

My plan is (& thoughts are welcome on this) to upgrade using the CDs, then
activate the URLs afterwards & get security updates etc. My thinking is
that this will be more manageable from a time point of view (ie - I won't
suddenly find myself with a lengthy net session when I don't expect it or
can't do it at that time).

One further question, if I may: I take heed of Steve & Thomas's warning on
dselect & I am planning on using apt-get. However, the Debian docs strongly
urge using dselect for upgrading in preference to apt-get. I do not doubt
the words of Steve & Thomas, but I would be interested to know why dselect
is so bad for upgrading - I presume the warnings are based on bitter
experience. What does it do wrong?

Gavin.