[Sussex] "pre-depend" error upgrading to Woody

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Mar 2 10:15:39 UTC 2004

Hi Thomas

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:56:43AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
>  --- Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> > If you read the release notes/docs/manpage (I can't remember where I
> > did) you'll find that dselect was a first attempt by someone who, in
> > his own words, couldn't design user interfaces.  It was never ment as
> > a "production" bit of software.  The problem was, for all its faults,
> > it worked, and was never rewritten.
>
> You have to remember that when Ian Jackson, along with Bruce Perens wrote
> this software, it literally was from the point that: "it works, it'll do".
> Debian was still very much a guru's distribution -- you really *had* to
> know what you were doing. Luckily that isn't really the case anymore.
> Although I do see a number of people running Sid when they ought not to
> be...for their own safety if nothing else ;)

This is true and something that is easy to forget these days.

> > Also, I admit it (and I think Thomas is too), a command line junkie.
> > There is real power there.
>
> Yup, I certainly am.

Nive to have company.  I take it you like "bb".  I was one a course some
years back (for TogetherJ as it happens - a Java UML modeling tool) when
I showed the trainer (who was also the senior manager) bb.  He pulled all
the Java programmers in from next door to show them what a "real program"
looks like.

> > If you don't want to do a "net install" then think about doing it this
> > way.
> >
> > Just before going to bed run the command:
> >
> >   # apt-get -d dist-upgrade
> >
> > This will pull on the packages you need from the net into the apt
> > cache.  You can then go off line and upgrade later using
> >
> >   # apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Yeck:
>
> apt-get -u dist-upgrade && apt-get clean
>
> *I* wouldn't want all those packages floating around afterwards....

Disk space is cheap :-)
I don't run "apt-get clean" as often as I should.