[Sussex] A cheeky request...

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Sat Mar 13 14:15:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:09:38PM +0000, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> All,
>
> The system here is locked down tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm and
> as a result I can't send email from my local machine (using webmail to send
> this one!) I've asked the sysadmins about a SMTP relay, but they say the don't
> have one, so what I'm wondering is this:

In which way is it locked down?  Even the most locked-down places seem
to allow https - which can be (ab)used for ssh connections with port
tunneling...

> fo £15 a year, I can purchase an SMTP server for my domain hosted with
> 34sp.com, however I can't guarantee this will work, so I was wondering if
> someone on the list would be kind enough to provide me with an outside SMTP
> server that I can test sending mail and see if it is port 25 that's blocked or
> not before buying the SMTP function from 34sp.

Telnetting to any known smtp server on the outside should suffice to
find out whether the port is blocked - the initial response from the
smtp server should be sufficient to prove that you're talking to it:

    $ telnet smtp.${SOME_ISP}.com 25

should respond with something along the lines of:
220 einstein ESMTP Exim 4.30 Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:05:02 +0000

(anything starting with 220 is OK)

PS: most ISPs seems to run smtp servers too, with pop-before-smtp
    authentification. So if you sign up for a pay-as-you-go account with
    somebody, you *should* be able to use their SMTP server. (incoming
    mail is a different issue...)

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen