[Sussex] kernel 2.6

Thomas Adam thomas_adam16 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 05:30:33 UTC 2004

 --- David Chapman <dokterdave at ntlworld.com> wrote:

[..major, major snip..]

> But the 2.6 kernel thinks /dev/sda is /dev/sde
> 				       /dev/sdb is /dev/sda
> 				      /dev/sdc is /dev/sdb
> 				      /dev/sdd is /dev/sdc
> 				      /dev/sde is /dev/sdd

Interesting. It might have something to do with cosmic rays?

> After commenting out all the unnessasary entries in /etc/fstab and
> appending
> root=/dev/sdb3 to my Grub entry, 2.6 boots but hangs at
>
> starting file access monitoring deamon
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion.

FAM is the evilest piece of software in existance. I would imagine it
hangs since it is looking for your old mapped locations (sda as opposed to
sde) although I can't believe those values are stored anywhere specific.
I'd be inclined to search the LKML.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net