[Sussex] "I'd rather break the law than use open source..."

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sun Mar 21 15:59:27 UTC 2004

All,

I've just had a phone call from a fellow student on my course asking if
I had a copy of MS Word she could "borrow" for her laptop.  I politely
told her that I used an alternative to MS which was free and fully
compatible with the university system (OpenOffice.org).

She then spoke to her father who said that he could probably "borrow" a
copy of MS word from work.  I (again politely) informed her that this
was breaking the law, however both she and her father decided that it
was better to break the law and use Microsoft so that it was "all the
same system" than save money and act legally.

Is this common? I realised that MS campaign of FUD was well-run, but I
didn't realise it was that effective!

Thoughts please to the usual address...

Matt
--
| Matthew Macdonald-Wallace     |

This email has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software