[Sussex] Its awfully queit .....

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu May 20 06:30:58 UTC 2004

Hi Nik

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 07:13:11AM +0100, Nicholas Butler wrote:
> Following on form a previous conversation of a while back, i have a
> update to niks mad mail systems should not deliver files controversy..
>
> We have a customer whom has asked up to build a FTP server to enable
> them to place files on the server to enable external recipients to
> collect them. It seems they are aware of the issues and problems in
> delivering files as attachments to emails. I wonder if this will be the
> start o the ball rolling away from file attachments and back to inline
> links to files to download ?
>
> On another topic... LUG meeting Speake[r|rs] for Lug meet ?
> and Is anyone planning to attend this
>
> [extract from Debian UK Mailing list  ? ]
>
> Are any Debian people planning to go to this?
> 10th June - London
> 17th June - Edinburgh
> 29th June - Manchester
> 7th July - Newport
> http://www.microsoft.co.uk/events/MsEStdEventDisp.asp?params=fHx8fDB8bXNldmVudHN8MHww&EventID=8061
> Cost Free of Charge
>
> Who should attend
>
> Technical Decision Makers
>
> Description
>
> Hear the facts on Linux and Open Source Software Reams have been written
> about Linux and Open Source Software. Some of it true, some of it hype.
> We think its about time to open up this debate.
> Microsoft would like to invite you to an open and honest technology
> seminar about the pros and cons of Microsofts technology platform in
> relation to Linux and Open Source. We want to share with you all the
> latest information we have, from all sides. In a half day event, which
> will include a lively panel discussion as well as views from an
> independent analyst, we will be sharing with you different perspectives
> surrounding this debate. We want to show you our side of the story, why
> we believe Microsoft\u2019s platform of technologies is still the
> safest, most cost effective route for many organisations and where we
> see the future. At the event you will also be able to listen to and
> question a number of IT decision makers who have already been through
> the process of looking at Linux and Open Source as a platform for
> delivering IT business solutions. This will be a unique opportunity to
> question the business and technical experts at Microsoft about some of
> the issues you\u2019re currently facing and some of the decisions
> you\u2019ll need to make. Windows v Linux \u2013
>
> The Seminar Benefits:
> # Understand the open source issues
> # Consider the platform issues \u2013 pros and cons
> # Question the Platform and Linux technical experts
> # Unique opportunity
> # Decision making

For those of you not on the Debian-UK ML it has been noted that the web
sites of the guest speakers all run IIS - me thinks that this is just a
M$ marketing event.

Okay - so it is a free lunch at M$ expense - but is that worth missing
my Eurovote on the 10th?  Maybe as there isn't a party that is worthy of
my vote.

If a number of people are going then I might also go too.  So put me
down as a maybe.

Steve D