[Sussex] Report from last night's LUGMoot

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri May 28 12:53:12 UTC 2004

Hi All

Thanks to everyone who turned up last night.  I enjoyed it, I hope
you all did too.

Lots was discussed but I bring to everyone's attention the major
items that were discussed last night.

1). Geoff's replacement.
    With Geoff having to suffer working in Europe and the US for a
    while [1] it was though that some others should take on a more
    proactive role in running the LUG.

    Jon and I agreed to do this.  Jon do more with the website and
    me work more on the meetings.

2). Nik had some [good] ideas on how best to promote the club.  He
    would like to present them next meeting.

    I my new role of meeting coordinator (with Gareth), and give
    Gareth is on holiday, I have agreed to this.

3). Holbrook Club, where the moots are held currently don't charge
    us for the use of their room.  Jon announced that this
    was about to end shortly.

    He is looking at doing a deal where in exchange for the club
    installing public accessible WiFi we get to continue to use
    the club for free.  The suggestion is that every member
    contributes ten quid to buy the hardware (Jon will do the
    SysAdmin as he lives close by).  Any money left over is used
    to by beer at future moots.

    Note: If you miss the meeting were the hardware is "paid" for
    then you will be charged at the next meeting you attend.

If anyone has a problem with these points please shout.  This club
is, more or less, a democracy.  But like most small clubs just by
poking your head above the wall ... :-)

If you have already arranged to give a talk in future meeting can
you please let me know.  Currently I'm planning on there being two
presentations next month, one by me and one by Nik's - but I will
postpone mine if someone else needs to present.

In a change to past protocol I will be announcing the agenda for
next month's Moot at the end of next week.  I announced at the Moot
what I plan to talk about (so those that know please keep quite).

It is my opinion that letting people know the agenda in advance
will increase attendance, as people can mark that date off in the
diary.  Others think that announcing the topics may have them talked
about on the list before the event and reduce attendance.  What is
your view?

Steve

[1]
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2004-May/006062.html