Magazines {WAS}: Re: [Sussex] SUSE Crash

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Thu Nov 4 11:14:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 10:53 +0000, Mike Diack wrote:
> By the way - question to the group in general:
> What do you make of the Linux mags in general?
>
> I can think of:
>
> Linux User/Developer (used to get this as a freebie!)
> Linux Format
> Linux Magazine
> Linux Journal

There are four of five other ones available stateside...the only one I
remember that isn't listed is LinuxWorld Magazine.  It's not available
over here though, and isn't really very good.

> Are there others? I personally found Journal and Magazine a bit dry....

As a full time Linux developer I find Linux Journal to be a factor of
several million times more useful and informative than any other magzine
in the market.  The only thing that even begins to think about coming
close is Linux User/Developer.

I admit that "Linux Journal" may be a little dry (it's not aimed at
casual users), but you should bear in mind it is a sister publication to
"Dr Dobbs Journal" and the "C/C++ Users Journal" and as such isn't
really looking to sell in the high street computer magazine market.

All the other magazines listed tend to contain the following:

 - News that is several weeks out of date (compared to slashdot,
osnews.org, etc..).
 - Trivial reviews of applications.
 - Shallow explanations of common technology
 - Beginers guides.

... now obviously some of this is very useful to the new or casual linux
user, but it simply doesn't address what I need.  Your mileage may vary.

--
Geoff Teale <gteale at cmedltd.com>
Cmed Technology