[Sussex] Re: Magazines and developer questions etc.

Mike Diack mike_diack at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 13:13:16 UTC 2004

Good stuff Geoff....

Just to respond:

RE: Microsoft stuff....

Like I say, personally I think MFC isn't as bad as made out (though it's
internals are UGH).
ATL and COM on the other hand are truly horrendous to use and are so poorly
documented - goodness only knows why they ever became popular.
(Thank your lucky stars if you've not had to deal with them - and don't even
start me on the buggy wonder that is DCOM - I can bore you for hours
with obscure bugs in that if desired! ;))
WTL I actually do like though and am really quite impressed with.
I am a great disliker of .Net (for much the same reasons I've never bought
into the COM hype, in spite of having to be a COM developer!), so not
interested in Mono.

Qt does indeed interest me as does WxWidgets (I've seen their work in
videolan's vlc).

Thanks for all of the comments - please give me a pointer to the free book
that you mentioned on GNU development.

Cheers for all of the advice, comments and friendly banter, but please do
pass on the GNU development book link.

By the way, hopefully, one day I'll make it to one of the meetings!

Mike