[Sussex] SUSE Crash

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 17:12:33 UTC 2004

Suse 9.1 can be a pain in the arse to install.  The earlier versions were
worse, and I'll admit I really admire the progress that YaST2 is showing.
9.1 is by far the best installer I've seen so far.
My main niggles with it came when I tried to install it on a server, onto a
SCSI Raid array.  Being a Dell, I needed to use some specific drivers, which
were included on the Suse 9.1 disks.  So.. I triggered manual install, told
it to add the drivers, then let it carry on with the YaST2 install.  It goes
all the way through the first disk, and then restarts the machine.  However,
as smart as Suse is.. It failed to include the relevant SCSI drivers on the
HDD.  So it can't see the drive, beyond the initial bootloader.
Su-flippin-perb.  In hindsight I could probably have used a live disk to
transfer the relevant kernel module / drivers across, edit the startup so
that it was included, and rebooted to finish the procedure off, but why
should I go through all that hassle?  After approaching it in different ways
I gave up and chucked Slackware 9 on it, which works fine.