[Sussex] BIG disks....

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 6 19:23:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 17:00, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Sorry if this is a dumb question.
>
> I have (maybe) a requirement to create a single big (a few Tb)
> "virtual disk".
>
> This will be, for various reasons, based around outboard FireWire2
> hard disks, possibly using 1.6Tb drives, but more likely using 1Tb
> drives.
>
> The question is one of disk management.
>
> In the past, when I've had multiple physical disk drives on a server,
> I've given each a mount point. What I'm really after is something that
> functions as a hot-configurable controller, so that I can add extra
> drives to the pool, and have them function as if they were a single
> drive....
>
> Possible? Easy? Pointers?

Yes. I used SUSE up to version 9.1, and it had a feature called LVM
(logical volume management?). I never had call to use it but what I did
read suggested that it would do the job of bundling disks together as
one volume, and I believe it could cope with on-the-fly disk changing.
However, I suspect the hardware would need to be hot-pluggable as well.

I'm now using Gentoo so I haven't seen whether LVM or something similar
is available through portage.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but you might find this a useful
lead.

Steve Williams.