[Sussex] Gentoo and printers?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Nov 10 00:06:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 23:55, Geoffrey John Teale wrote:
> John,
>
> On kernel 2.6.9 it should be in:
>
> Character Devices -> Parallel Printer Support

Well, "Bai Jingo" I do believe I've got it "sussed".

I found a post that told me this

Quote:

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux

Code:
make menuconfig

Code:
Device Drivers -> Parallell Port Support ->
<*>Parallel port support
<*> PC-Style Hardware

Code:
Device Drivers -> Character devices ->
<*> Parallel printer support

Which meant that I could then have a crack at following the instructions
to do the make menuconfig "thing".

That all went OK, and it gave me this

Quote:

bash-2.05b$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
parport_pc 25792 1
lp 8872 0
parport 32840 2 parport_pc,lp

I then found this
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=190286&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=modules+lp0

though I recalled the stuff about looking at cups via localhost:631 and
I was able to just "add" my inkjet printer as the device URI now offered
a parallel port option, and it printed a test page fine straight away.

For my laser printer I initially looked into trying the KDE print
manager option but that kept wanting to look in 127.0.0.0 for the
network, and if I tried to use the internal IP that I've given it, it
wouldn't play, so I managed to do that via cups as well.

the only thing that I don't understand is that even though it
specifically mentions using the hpijs driver, and I emerged it, when
offered the various models of HP printers and driver options, hpijs is
nowhere to be seen!

Still, who cares, it's working, so that's gonna have to do for the
moment.

regards

John D.

p.s. Thanks for that Geoff, I had found that about half an hour before I
checked my mail, as I was going to reply with the above and tell you
that I'd found it.

Thinking of the content of the rest of the mail that downloaded, you
don't want to buy any quality "Italian Rolexes"? Whichever "spammer"
used that must be about the thickest one in the "spamming game" eh!