[Sussex] X automatic Login

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 11 08:56:26 UTC 2004

John,

How's your Italian? Parliamo Italiano?

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 22:16, John D. wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 15:46, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:43:44PM +0000, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> > > I would like to power it up, have it login automatically, start X and
> > > load gpsdrive onto my display.
> >
> > http://linuxgazette.net/issue72/chung.html
> >
> Sorry, a little bit of a hijack.
>
> Thomas's reply reminded me, I've still got a few bit's and pieces to
> tidy up with this new shiney Gentoo install (various settings and so far
> about 100 or so config files to look into :-().
>
> The first one being, where in hells name is the config setting for
> evolution so that when I click on a link, the bugger opens a browser?
>
> My previous install of mandrake, links in "evo", automatically opened
> epiphany, but this one doesn't (yet), and I'll be blowed if I can find
> that as an option.
>
> Could anyone enlighten me?

Try this link:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=228827&highlight=evolution+browser

Basically enter the following commands, modified to suit your choice of
browser, for https:

$ gconftool-2 --type=string --set
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/command "firefox %s"
$ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/need-terminal false
$ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/enabled true

For http:

$ gconftool-2 --type=string --set
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command "firefox %s"
$ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/need-terminal false
$ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/enabled
true

Hope this helps.

Steve Williams.