[Sussex] fstab and mounting partitions ??

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 11 10:12:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 09:53, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:48:34AM +0000, John D. wrote:
> > (a) Should there be an entry for my /home partition in my /etc/fstab?
>
> Only if /home is on its own partition, else it is just a directory under
> "/" which you have in fstab anyway.
>
> > (b) Should there be an entry for my windows partition in that very
> > same /etc/fstab ?
>
> Sure - I don't see why not. It would save you having to type out the
> mount command each and every time you needed to access it. You can
> always use "noauto" if you don't want it to be mounted for you
> automatically.
>
> -- Thomas Adam

Thanks for the reply Thomas.

Yes, my /home does indeed have it's own partition, plus I like to be
able to check out any windows stuff with a few mouse clicks, I've
changed my fstab so it now looks like this:

# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.14
2003/10/13 20:03:38 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally
aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of
storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
opts.
#/dev/hda1		/windows	ntfs		noatime			0 1
/dev/hda2		/boot		ext3		noauto,noatime		1 2
/dev/hda5		/		reiserfs	noatime			0 1
/dev/hda5		/home		reiserfs	noatime			0 1
/dev/SWAP		none		swap		sw			0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660		noauto,ro,user		0 0
#/dev/fd0		/mnt/floppy	auto		noauto			0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none			/proc		proc		defaults		0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none			/dev/shm	tmpfs		nodev,nosuid,noexec	0 0

as you can see, I've kept the same dump/pass options, I don't know if I
should change them for something else?

Also, the entry I've put in for my windows partition, I've left it
commented out for the moment as I'm unsure whether I've put the correct
info in, i.e. the type, options and dump/pass. Would you know if there's
anything that I should modify in the entry? or should it work if I just
uncomment it? (I wouldn't know if it will freak out with ntfs as the
"type" though that's how my windows install is formatted as).

regards

John D.