[Sussex] fstab and mounting partitions ??

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 11 10:21:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:12, John D. wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Thomas.
>
> Yes, my /home does indeed have it's own partition, plus I like to be
> able to check out any windows stuff with a few mouse clicks, I've
> changed my fstab so it now looks like this:
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> # $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.14
> 2003/10/13 20:03:38 azarah Exp $
> #
> # noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally
> aren't
> # needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of
> storage
> # efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
> # switch between notail and tail freely.

> # NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
> opts.
> #/dev/hda1		/windows	ntfs		noatime			0 1
> /dev/hda2		/boot		ext3		noauto,noatime		1 2
> /dev/hda5		/		reiserfs	noatime			0 1
> /dev/hda5		/home		reiserfs	noatime			0 1
> /dev/SWAP		none		swap		sw			0 0
> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660		noauto,ro,user		0 0
> #/dev/fd0		/mnt/floppy	auto		noauto			0 0
>
> # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
> none			/proc		proc		defaults		0 0
>
> # glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
> # POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
> # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
> #  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
> # Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:
>
> none			/dev/shm	tmpfs		nodev,nosuid,noexec	0 0
>

> as you can see, I've kept the same dump/pass options, I don't know if I
> should change them for something else?
>
> Also, the entry I've put in for my windows partition, I've left it
> commented out for the moment as I'm unsure whether I've put the correct
> info in, i.e. the type, options and dump/pass. Would you know if there's
> anything that I should modify in the entry? or should it work if I just
> uncomment it? (I wouldn't know if it will freak out with ntfs as the
> "type" though that's how my windows install is formatted as).

Just a little addition that I forgot, how do I check where I'm actually
logged in i.e. in the /home rather than a home directory in the /
partition?

and if I'm actually in a home directory in the / partition, how would I
actually get logged into the /home partition?

sorry if that sounds a little banal, but it's never actually occurred to
me before to have to check (or how!).

regards

John D.