[Sussex] login/logout/reboot/shutdown question (Gentoo)?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Nov 14 18:14:36 UTC 2004

Hi list,

Normally, I click the start menu, select shutdown, then restart computer
from the following dialogue box. The system then reboots back into grub
offering Windows or Gentoo.

Then if I select Gentoo, it would reboot into the distro stopping at the
user or root dialogue offering.

Now I appreciate that I probably haven't got things configured correctly
(well I have, to the limit of my understanding), because at the moment,
If I select Gentoo from grub, It goes through the booting up with the
startup dialogue zooming up the screen, and even though I'm pretty sure
that I've set the default level to 5 (well at least I think I have), It
usually stops at an init 3 login. If I then hit enter, as expected, it
won't go any further. If I type in either user or root, it usually
starts the GUI login.

It's similar in reverse, inthat I select logout from the start menu and
it just closes to an init 3 logged in level. To shut down properly, I
have to SU to root and then "reboot" and it'll then close down properly
and restart offering the grub OS menu.

What do I need to look into to sort this out ???

regards

John D.