[Sussex]login/logout/reboot/shutdown question (Gentoo)?

John big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 15 00:43:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:26:17 +0000, Thomas Adam
<thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:23:19AM +0000, John D. wrote:
>
>> Also to reply to Thomas, no, what I mean is that it does get as far as
>> a text init3 type login but it seems to do like a startx type thing,
>> but not until I've started typing either root or john (original user
>> account eh what!). I don't actually have to get as far as putting in
>> the full user name and password.
>
> Aaah, then the only thing I can say here is that patience is a definite
> virtue. :)
>
>> Yes I probably have got my runlevels arse about face, because the
>> line in the /etc/inittab says id:5:initdefault: so I'm presuming
>> that that's wrong ? I'll change it to id:2:initdefault: and see what
>> happens.
>
> No, don't do that. I'm not sure how gentoo organises things, but Debian
> does not distinguish any difference between runlevels 2->5 inclusive.
> Changing gentoo's default runlevel 2 might not do what you expected it
> to. :)

Ha, you're right there Thomas, all it succeeded in doing was change the
default runlevel that showed up in the boot dialogue as 2 and then I did
have to log in and tell it to startx.

Most annoying is that now the damn e-mail seems to be playing up,
Evolution wouldn't connect to either of my normal e-mail accounts, neither
would Kmail, got a "server couldn't connect" reply when I tried to ping my
ISP, so I rebooted my router and still got nothing. So i'm sending this
with opera mail from my windows install!

Oh, and now confused as hell!

regards

John D.