[Sussex] Domain registrar recomendations

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Thu Nov 18 11:05:32 UTC 2004

On 18 Nov 2004, at 10:55, Gareth Ablett wrote:

>  From: Jon Fautley [mailto:jon at geekpeople.net]
>  Subject: Re: [Sussex] Domain registrar recomendations
>

>> On 18 Nov 2004, at 09:50, Gareth Ablett wrote:
>>

>>>  From: Diego Moore [mailto:diego.moore at gmail.com]
>>>  Subject: [Sussex] Domain registrar recomendations

>>> Hi Diego,
>>>
>>> I'll use 123-reg.co.uk they have a good control panel with options to
>>> do almost anything and I believe its free at the moment to transfer
>>> domains into an account with them (I might be wrong I remember them
>>> mentioning it a while ago)
>>
>> But it's 123-reg... the same 123reg that's part of the HostEurope
>> group! HostEurope wouldnt' know a reliable internet service if it
>> slapped them in the face.
>>
>> As you can tell, I really don't like the HostEurope or any of their
>> 2bit companies they've spawned. Now pipex (once a good ISP) have
>> purchased them - they obviously didn't speak to the rest of the
>> internet community at large... it's akin to that simpsons episode
>> where
>> Homer buys the 4x4... then everyone points out it's the crappy
>> 'ladies'
>> version of the car, and everyone laughs at him, until he gets rid of
>> it
>> to someone else (Marge - who then thankfully crashes it and it blows
>> up).
>>
>> 4x4 = HostEurope
>> Homer = Pipex
>> Marge = who knows, lets hope they crash and burn soon ;)
>>
>> Anyway, back to work :)
>>

> Interesting you don't know the Simpsons is a cartoon right and not
> real?

er, yes, but it's based on real life situations :P (ish)

> I'd agree host Europe are crap at hosting and I have been on the phone
> to them before for hours getting them to sort a problem with a server.
>
> But I've used 123-reg for something like 4 or 5 years and not once had
> a problem, the seem to have that part of the business sorted.

would you buy a car from a company where 90% of all models of car
explode without warning? I think not... just because they can do one
tiny bit of their business right doesn't mean they're a good company to
be using.

and yes, for those of you who are whois'ing my geekpeople.net domain -
I'm tagged with 123reg.. this is how I know not to use them :)

Jon