[Sussex] Firefx helper panel

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Nov 19 21:48:47 UTC 2004

First make sure your sitting down before you read any futher.

Not sitting down, you were warned!!!

Google as failed me!!!

I want to install Java Web Start on Firefox 0.9.3 (Debian).

I have already configured Apache to send the correct mime type:
   application/x-java-jnlp-file
No problem there, didn't need to google, Sun's documentation told
me all I need to know.  First test showed the mime type in Firefox's
download page.

So now I need to configure the helper for Firefox so that when it
gets a file of that mime type is runs the javaws program.  Simple
you would have thought.

My problem is simple.  I can't find where the configuration panel
for helper programs in Firefox is.  Google failed me, all the
pages it turned up talk about "Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator
-> Helper Applications" as the place to configure your helpers.
But with Fire fox there is no "Navigator" tab/window/option.

After having googled for more or less an hour I am now in shock.
My status as a Geek is now in tatters and seriously considering
giving up my membership to "Get a Life, Hackers Anonymous".

Steve D