[Sussex] gentoo - pre-install questions

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 20 18:42:53 UTC 2004

John,

-----%<-----

> > so yes, it should all automagically mount as long as your fstab reads
> > accordingly.
>
> Righty Ho. Got that.
>
> So from Geoffs 2 replies explaining the difference between USE flags and
> CFLAGS and Matthews bit above, I'm not quite sure if I follow as to whether I
> need to actually make sure to provide the USE flags that i'd need for app's
> that I'll have installed eventually i.e. Modify the make.conf and put the USE
> flags in during the installation process (does it do somekind of magical
> optimisation, and prevent genkernel compiling options in the kernel that I
> wouldn't actually need unless I really did need "everything, including the
> kitchen sink" compile - so that it only compiles the options I'd need for the
> use flags that I put in?), or whether I do that after I've got the base
> system installed?

As far as my understanding goes, USE flags allow you to specify the
support you want when you compile stuff. For example, if you want xmms,
mplayer, noatun etc. to support ogg vorbis, you need to set the
oggvorbis USE flag. For sake of completeness, I added everything I
though I would ever need, which makes for a lot of USE flags. However,
my system compiles cleanly, apart from the odd blooper such as
kdemultimedia not compiling unless I use the ~x86 masked version of
speex.

You get more features supported but the trade off is larger binaries and
slower performance.

I don't use optimisation more than -O2 as this can cause problems during
compile. In addition, use of distcc and ccache cause problems for some
compilations. I've just done an emerge -u world and it took 18 hours to
compile, but it's worth it as it was generally very trouble-free.

> And, does the /home partition actually need to be mounted during install, as I
> understand that the actual process of installing only put's "stuff" into
> the /root or is there some kind of info that the /root partition needs to
> know about from the /home partition??

Not AFAIK.

You do not need /home mounted during the install, but I'd make sure it
was mounted before I added any users other than root.