[Sussex] Printers and Gentoo (again)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Nov 28 14:14:38 UTC 2004

Hi list,

When I try to setup my printers, I've looked at the obvious (as I
understand it anyway).

Geoff pointed me in the right direction last time, but this time I'm
quite confused, because when I check that theres parallel port and lp
support, I cant see any i.e.

bash-2.05b# modprobe paraport
FATAL: Module paraport not found.
bash-2.05b# modprobe lp
FATAL: Module lp not found.
bash-2.05b# modprobe paraport_pc
FATAL: Module paraport_pc not found.
bash-2.05b#

But, if I cd /usr/src/linux and then do make menuconfig I start looking
through the sections and I see

Parallel port support--> <*> Parallel port support
Parallel port support--> <*>   PC-style hardware

Character Devices--> <*> Parallel printer support

and according to the legend, the <*> indicates that "it's" built in, so
does this mean that I have to have the paraport, paraport_pc and lp
facilities as modules ? (or because it's "built in", modprobe shows the
absence of modules as above?).

regards

John D.