[Sussex] Printers and Gentoo (again)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 29 02:20:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 23:04 +0000, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Have a look for /dev/par0 - 2 for parallel printer port devices.
>
> Have a look in dmesg for the following to see if parallel support is
> compiled into your kernel;
>
> lp: driver loaded but no devices found
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> lp0: using parport0 (polling).

Nope, I can't find any of that either.

And on Sun, 28 Nov 2004 at 23:09 (GMT), John Crowhurst wrote:

>Look in /dev for /dev/lp0. If you are using devfs, then it could be in
>/dev/lp/0.

>Perhaps you've not configured the /etc/printcap to show where the
>printer is connected.

I also partly looked into those suggestions John (well I haven't checked
the doc's yet), but theres no sign of anything and the system doesn't
seem to have a file called /etc/printcap

Weird? you'd have thought it would have at least seen that the inkjet is
connected via the parallel port?

regards

John D.