[Sussex] Printers and Gentoo (again)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 29 16:21:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 13:43 +0000, Iain Stevenson wrote:

> Just copy the ".config" file from the old kernel source directory to the
> new and do "make oldconfig" - then you'll only get bothered with questions
> relating to the things that have changed in the kernel source.

As soon as I read your post Iain, I thought "wow, yeah, brilliant, etc
etc" (plus a few of the more obvious expletives).

Immediately went off to have a look at /usr/src/linux, to see that it
would be nice and easy, so that even a nugget like me could manage it.

This was followed by a loud hissing noise (which was the sound of me
being deflated, when I realised that if I had a bit more knowledge and
understanding of "things kernel and source" it would be a "doddle").

I still don't really understand how I'd do that (there was also a
"whooshing" noise as your suggestion went straight over my head).

Since all of this has come up, I now understand just how much cotton
wool I've been living in at MandrakeLand (it's calling me, I can hear it
now "install me, install me" - back, I say back, you gallic, garlic
scented devil :-P a constant struggle, I can assure you).

There is just so much stuff that I could learn about, if only I could
track down info/docs that are written in English. Most of it is in
"Techenese" of a dialect that I cant decypher!

Thanks again.

regards

John D.