[Sussex] Printers and Gentoo (again)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Nov 29 17:31:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 16:21 +0000, John D. wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 13:43 +0000, Iain Stevenson wrote:
>
> > Just copy the ".config" file from the old kernel source directory to the
> > new and do "make oldconfig" - then you'll only get bothered with questions
> > relating to the things that have changed in the kernel source.
>
> As soon as I read your post Iain, I thought "wow, yeah, brilliant, etc
> etc" (plus a few of the more obvious expletives).
>
> Immediately went off to have a look at /usr/src/linux, to see that it
> would be nice and easy, so that even a nugget like me could manage it.
>
> This was followed by a loud hissing noise (which was the sound of me
> being deflated, when I realised that if I had a bit more knowledge and
> understanding of "things kernel and source" it would be a "doddle").
>
> I still don't really understand how I'd do that (there was also a
> "whooshing" noise as your suggestion went straight over my head).
>
> Since all of this has come up, I now understand just how much cotton
> wool I've been living in at MandrakeLand (it's calling me, I can hear it
> now "install me, install me" - back, I say back, you gallic, garlic
> scented devil :-P a constant struggle, I can assure you).
>
> There is just so much stuff that I could learn about, if only I could
> track down info/docs that are written in English. Most of it is in
> "Techenese" of a dialect that I cant decypher!

Further to above, I did the cd /usr/src/linux followed by make
menuconfig then copying the bzImage over to /boot etc etc

Now I don't recall if I changed all the <*> bit's to <M> or just the
parallel printer support, because if I do

bash-2.05b# modprobe lp
bash-2.05b# modprobe paraport
FATAL: Module paraport not found.
bash-2.05b# modprobe paraport_pc
FATAL: Module paraport_pc not found.
bash-2.05b# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
agpgart                26920  0
nvidia               4810516  12
parport_pc             26944  1
lp                      8872  0
parport                32840  2 parport_pc,lp

As you can see, there's no modules found for paraport or paraport_pc,
but lsmod see's all (knows all etc etc - sorry for the panto reference)

Which has enabled me to just go straight into kde's printer manager and
set both printers up.

A little confusing though, I'd have rather found out what I'd done wrong
in the first place, soas to try and understand what actually goes on
inside a linux box, but oh well, perhaps another time/problem/whatever!

Thanks for the assistance/tricks and tips etc etc

regards

John D.