[Sussex] A clever work around? (IP Tables and Firewalls)

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Oct 5 09:47:55 UTC 2004

Hi,

At the moment I have the current setup:

	University Network
	with Proxy Server

	Desktop Computer
	With IP Tables and DNS MASQ

	       Hub

	Laptop with GPS Drive

I'm trying to d/l maps for GPS Drive however it does not want to
connect to the map server.

When I'm out somewhere and I have a wireless network without a proxy,
it works fine, however when I'm trying to d/l from my room it does not.

I have already exported $http_proxy with the correct settings, however
DNS Mas does not seem to be interpreting these correctly for GPS Drive,
even though Firefox works fine.

Is there any whay ofd adding a rule to IP Tables or dnsMasq so that all
web traffic(http and https) has the proxy added to it at the desktop,
removing the need for the proxy variable on the latop?

TIA,

Matt
--
| Matthew Macdonald-Wallace     |

This email has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software