[Sussex] A letter to our MEPs and MPs

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Oct 10 09:52:52 UTC 2004

Mark

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 10:25:50PM +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> I am, alas, rather more cynical about politicians than you. I don't believe
> that any appeal to "doing the right thing" will have useful impact on my
> elected representative (Crawley, Labour.)

I'm not so sure that our cynicism is that different.  I don't believe I
have much of a hope on my own.  My point is that a large enough group
will get noticed, hence my opening statements on mass movements of the
past.

> The tack I'm planning to taking is broadly as follows:

You idea is a very good one, and one that I hadn't previously seen.

Recently on GrokLaw someone asked why IBM's lawyers were attacking
each of SCO's claims on so many fronts when just one was a killer
argument.  The response was it's good lawyering;  one doesn't know
which argument will convince the Judge so use them all.  Whichever
argument works the Judge will have to accept the rest.

I think the same is true of politicians.  We should give them every
(non-technical) argument we can think of.  We must not attack any
one company any make this a religious war.  This is why I place the
letter here, because "many minds make better argument".

I hope you don't mind (I'm guessing that you will not) but I'll
add this to the letter.