[Sussex] A letter to our MEPs and MPs

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Mon Oct 11 08:32:31 UTC 2004

Chaps,

Sorry been away from my mail, should have posted this sooner in the
conversation.

I think this is a grand idea to help fight software patents but a word
of warning.  It's fine to use US cases as an example of what can go
wrong, but don't use it as the be-all and end-all of your argument, it
just won't cut in in the UK or the EU.  Before getting involved in such
a discussion it is important to be well researched and understand the
issue as it faces us in the UK.

Time to peddle the "party line".

I would strongly urge this group to join the larger, better researched
and better funded effort to campaign against Software Patents within the
EU (which is, after all where these decisions are being driven).  The
Free Software Foundation's European branch is dealing with software
patents as a priority  - see this open letter:

http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/swpat/letter-20040510.en.html

Note that writing to your MP is an action item in this letter.  So for
now, lets send this letter, with the example given, but lets reference
the material and efforts of the Free Software Foundation.  That is lets
frame our message with the weight of an organisation with a strong
understanding of EU law and a well thought out case that already has the
ear of the important players.

I would urge you all to:

  - Bring the work of the FSF in Europe to the attention of your MP.
  - Donate anything you can afford to the FSF in Europe.
  - Best of all, join the FSF and help out.

--
Geoff Teale
Software Engineer
gteale at cmedltd.com   //          \\   tealeg at member.fsf.org