[Sussex] A letter to our MEPs and MPs

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Oct 11 11:17:29 UTC 2004

Geoff (at al)

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 09:32:12AM +0100, Geoff Teale wrote:
> Sorry been away from my mail, should have posted this sooner in the
> conversation.

You're forgiven :-)

> I think this is a grand idea to help fight software patents but a word
> of warning.  It's fine to use US cases as an example of what can go
> wrong, but don't use it as the be-all and end-all of your argument, it
> just won't cut in in the UK or the EU.  Before getting involved in such
> a discussion it is important to be well researched and understand the
> issue as it faces us in the UK.

I am attempting to show how US Software Patent laws could effect UK &
Europe now.  It seams that I am failing.  To that end I have changed
the end of paragraph 4 to read:
     If Sun Microsystems and Kodak had not settled out of court then
     it is conceivable that Sun Microsystems could have stop developing
     Java, as a result the Java community would have collapsed and
     thousands of Java programming jobs lost here in the UK and across
     Europe.

I've also added a reference to the current holders of EU Software Patents
showing how far EU companies are behind the US & Japan.  This is a strong
numerical backup to Mark's argument. (Paragraph 15)

> Time to peddle the "party line".
>
> I would strongly urge this group to join the larger, better researched
> and better funded effort to campaign against Software Patents within the
> EU (which is, after all where these decisions are being driven).  The
> Free Software Foundation's European branch is dealing with software
> patents as a priority  - see this open letter:
>
> http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/swpat/letter-20040510.en.html
>
> Note that writing to your MP is an action item in this letter.  So for
> now, lets send this letter, with the example given, but lets reference
> the material and efforts of the Free Software Foundation.  That is lets
> frame our message with the weight of an organisation with a strong
> understanding of EU law and a well thought out case that already has the
> ear of the important players.

As SLUG has no funds then writing to our M(E)Ps is the best way we can
help.  I am all for our letter being copied to the FSFeurope so they can
add us to their list of people objecting to Software Patents.

> I would urge you all to:
>
>  - Bring the work of the FSF in Europe to the attention of your MP.

If you would like to point me to some good examples I will happily add
them.

>  - Donate anything you can afford to the FSF in Europe.
>  - Best of all, join the FSF and help out.

Steve D

The letter is available at:
http://www.sussex.lug.org.uk/software-patents-letter.pdf