[Sussex] Black screen while booting after new kernel compilation

Antoine JOSSERAND a.josserand at free.fr
Fri Oct 22 13:46:28 UTC 2004

Hi Alan,

>It sounds like a framebuffer problem you're having. As a temporary
>fix, pass "vga=normal" when booting in lilo.
>So if your kernel image is called "linux", try this at the lilo screen:
>linux vga=normal

I tried that yesterday but it didn't change anything.

>As for a real fix to the problem... You'll need to fiddle with your
>kernel configuration (you've most likely made a mistake, easy enough),
>Under "console drivers",
>
>[*] VGA text console
>[*] Video mode selection support
>
>Then under Frame-buffer support
>
>[*] Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
>[*]   VESA VGA graphics console

I use menuconfig.
But there is no "console drivers" category.

I have found :

Device drivers --> Graphics support --> Console display driver support

and then I have :

--- VGA text console ? ?
[*] Video mode selection support ? ?
<M> MDA text console (dual-headed) (EXPERIMENTAL) ? ?
< > Framebuffer Console support

Is it a good way ?

Antoine.