[Sussex] Signing up to the Moot next week.

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Oct 23 00:42:29 UTC 2004

Gavin

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:19:08AM +0100, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:41:58 +0100
> Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
>
> > Guys
> >
> > It appears that some one signed up everyone on the list.  I don't know
> > why, maybe they were just being "helpful" so that everyone who be on
> > the list.
>
> This sounds like a right pain.

Only one little SQL statement - very quick.  Not much pain at all - I just
don't understand the mentality of people who do that.  Are their lifes so
boring that they get kicks from which mindless acts of annoyance.

Because I have access to the database directly (which is real power) it
took me less time to "undo" his changes than it took him to press every
button.  From the timestamps it looks like the page refresh took between
1 & 2 secs per name.  He started at 22:08:23 and finished at 22:10:35,
not quite 2 minutes.

I have just added a new column to the table which stores the IP address
of the client to the web server that made the page request.  So if the
little bleeder does it again it will be a very, very easy bit of SQL to
remove the damage - assuming that he does it from the same [proxy] client.

> I have signed-up for the moot now (at around 00:15)

No, at 00:08:38 I have access to the database remember :-)

See you Thursday