[Sussex] Bloody Distros (again!)/knoppix downloads

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 12:59:30 UTC 2004

Hi John.

 From: John D. [mailto:big-john at dsl.pipex.com]
 Subject: [Sussex] Bloody Distros (again!)/knoppix downloads

> Hi list,
>
> Recent distasters have made me reconsider distro's i.e. the installing
> mandrake 10.1 community went pear shaped, as did the "fit of pique"
> installing of knoppix 3.4 to my hard drive, arriving back at mandrake
10.0
> official.
>
> I've sent off for a set of Gentoo discs - Yup, a glutton for
punishment.

> In the mean time, because my attempt at knoppix went to "rat shit",
I've tried
> to download it again (well a couple of times).
>
> Using opera 7.54 to locate and download I've noticed that it gets so
far, and
> stops, the only way of continuing being to hit the actual "stop"
button and
> then "resume the transfer".
>
> Any idea's as to how I'd find out whether it's my end, my ISP (pipex
adsl
> account) or the mirror that's causing the download to stop
unexpectedly (and
> yes the attempts at download have all been at various times)??

sorry to hear your having bad luck. Have you tried a new version of
Knoppix I had a go at HD install of the latest release and then added
gnome with out a problem but tbh as a distro for continued use it's a
little too packed full of software I will never use.

For on I don't use Opera so am not sure if it would be the software but
the best bet is to eliminate as much as possible.

Just out of interest do you run a checksum on the file after to see if
it is in deed complete.

All you can do is try a different mirror and a different browser (I
recommend firefox)

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.