[Sussex] Linux is capitalism, Microsoft is communism?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Oct 27 11:12:39 UTC 2004

Mark

Trust me to go to my un-wired parents when a good thread starts on the list.

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 09:30:47PM +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Time for a new thread, based on one that's just started on another (non-UK)
> LUG....
<snip>
> I'm not saying that MS aren't very nimble. They are, if you'll pardon the
> term, a GOOD (effective, whatever) type 2 economy!
>
> However, which came up with:
>
> - The World Wide Web?
> - Instant Messaging?
> - The Internet itself?
> - Voice telephony?
> - The automated switchboard?

The Internet grew out of ARPANET, which was basicly funded by the US Military
which means the money came from government.  It is a requirement of US government
funded projects that the work is placed in the public domain (unless security
related).  I think that this puts the Internet as a result of a type 2 system.