[Sussex] Bloody Distros (again!)/knoppix downloads

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Oct 27 15:49:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 12:12, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
<snip>
> Have you tried Debian?

Yes. Knoppix is debian based.

> My worst problem with debian is that I no longer know how to install it.
> My laptop was installed with "slink" (3, or 4 years ago?). Still fully
> up-to-date thanks to easy updates...

Which was my main reason to try the knoppix approach, when I tried
"proper" debian, I had to do too much manual config stuff (which was
then and probably still is "over my head"!). The knoppix hardware
detection is excellent. It's one of the easiest ways of getting a fully
functional debian system.

Alas........... :(

> > > Just out of interest do you run a checksum on the file after to see if
> > > it is in deed complete.

When I tried to get the knoppix download, it didn't get as far as
finishing - hence no checksum needed to know it's not complete

> Have you tried....    oh...  I doubt whether opera is available in
> debian...  Never needed to look...

Yes, there's a .deb available at http://www.opera.com/download/
for Sid, Sarge, Woody and Potato

> Knowing which error would help here...

There was not error listed, the downloads dialogue box just said "error"
When I tried it with Mozilla, the download just stopped. Why, I couldn't
work out.

> Is that just http transfers or ftp too?

Yes. I only tried the UK mirror - being monolingual, I couldn't sus the
links from any of the others (shame as I've usually had good success
with the Dutch mandrake mirrors).

regards

John