[Sussex] [ Report ] Meet up at the Worthing Computer Fair

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 11:34:14 UTC 2004

 From: Nicholas Butler [mailto:nik at butlershouse.co.uk]
 Subject: [Sussex] [ Report ] Meet up at the Worthing Computer Fair

> Well we went , we saw, we asked.....
>
> the fair was , not as previously reported exclusively Inkjet refills
and
> cdr sellers. There was a pirated copy of Shrek 2 on display though.
> There were at least 20 vendors and the early morning crowds did not
> disappoint certainly the ability to access the stalls and talk to the
> vendors was limited by interested customers.

It was pretty much the same as I remember it when I went to the Bognor
Regis one although I'm sure they used a smaller area there, didn't think
the parts where that much cheaper then you can find on the net tbh.
Although for things like CD's & ink its nice to have them there an then.

> Of the collection of vendors we spoke to may were interested in seeing
> Linux Stall available and were interested in providing equipement to
> have "approved" though we will need to make sure that we forewarn them
> before arriving.

Its nice to see a interest in the idea.

> A few vendors voiced either a lack of interest, or in the case of one
> vendor a complete revulsion of linux , though I suspect that was just
> case of Install Incompetence.
>

> Many vendors have experimented with Linux available with their
products
> but found the on going development and distros to be a distraction.
>
> We did ont really take the opportunity to speak to visitors though
> Dobbo, brave volumatic soul that he was did pounce on those showing
> interest in the copies of BSD and Suse available on one stand.
>
> Which leads to a interesting issue , since we will be giving away Open
> Office and Debian and helping with installs we will certainly be
putting
> the software vendors nose out of joint. So we need to approach them to
> help them to sell their software ontop of the work we do.

Tbh, if you looked at the stalls there must have been half of them
selling the same products I'm not sure they would mind too much but
always best to be polite.

> okay so thats my report,
>
> in summary:
> Theres an opportunity, a need and a market for the club to place a
stall
> at these fairs to increase awareness of the club, increase awareness
of
> OSS and spread some penguin [ or Chukie ]  to the masses.
>

> Nik

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.